Sunday, January 31, 2010

Surgery

Over Christmas break we noticed we were having to practically yell at Dekan just to get his attention. We thought he was just distracted by the new toys at Christmas, so we did not do much about it. A couple of weeks after he returned to school we received a report card that indicated he was doing worse at being creative and getting his work done on time. He is usually very attentive, so I started wondering if something was wrong. We started doing some home hearing tests on him, but I really thought it was just a guy thing that he wasn't listening to me. (or maybe I'm just boring . . . hmm) As I talked to one of his teachers, she said that would explain a lot of what was going on in the classroom, because he is so shy and doesn't want to disappoint anyone so he wouldn't say anything. So, we had the school nurse test his hearing and he failed in both ears. That same day, we took him to the pediatrician who performed two different tests in both ears and he was not even registering in either ear. They scheduled us an appointment with an ENT two days later and they told us he needed to have a little surgery to clear his ears of the hard gunk in there and put tubes in his ears. He had lost 30 decibalsWe did this last Monday and the procedure only took about 5 minutes, but of course we had to go 1 1/2 hours early and it took him an hour to wake up before we could go.

First, they gave him some loopy medicine and while I was in the spot that Dave is in this picture, one of the first things he said to me was, "Mom, you are too heavy." What could I say? I had to agree. The medicine really just loosed his tongue. I wonder what Dave would say on that medicine? Dekan also looked at a picture of a monkey and said, "Hey, it's Camden."
Afterwards, there were several bouts of crying for no reason, which the nurse explained would happen due to the mixture of certain drugs. By the time we got home, he was fine and running around like nothing had happened.
The best part about it all? We just switched to a high-deductible plan Jan. 1st, so we got to pay for the entire thing out-of-pocket. He was such a brave boy!

4 comments:

Crystal said...

Poor kid (and pocket book)!

Becky said...

Ouch! I feel the money pain on that one. We had to take James to an ENT when he was 5 days old (for a frenulectomy) and that was a 5 second proceedure for about $700 dollars. I hate to think about the cost of a 5 minute proceedure.
But getting your hearing back is priceless so I guess Dekan gets the better deal in the end!

Lindsay said...

Ugh! Love that insurance stuff. I hope he is doing better.

Char said...

Wow! Im glad you have a blog or I wouldnt even know about this. Im glad everything went well.