Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Interesting


Well, we've had an interesting week, and that's the only word I can find to describe it. Last Thursday I went in for a sonogram, and they found a second baby in my uterus, but only one heartbeat. The sonogram didn't show very good detail, so they referred me to a perinatal doctor to get a little more detail and to confirm what was in there. I went yesterday and the image was much better. Apparently the twin died about 2-3 weeks ago. They were identical twins that shared the same placenta, but had their own sack (sp?). Anyway in this picture (that is not very good) you can make out a white line just above the baby, and that is the other sack. Apparently, the chances of having both babies die under these circumstances is 50% - seems pretty high to me. And the chances of having birth defects are higher also. Anyway, having one of them die early on actually gives the other a better chance of survival as well as lower risk of birth defects. On the one hand, it's sad, but on the other hand, it sounds like the odds of having one healthy baby are better. The one that died will not miscarry or anything like that, it will just be absorbed into the body. Interesting is the only word I have for it. The term is Vanishing Twin Syndrome if you'd like to read up on it.

8 comments:

Crystal said...

That is interesting. So, are the chances for this baby to have birth defects the same now as any other single baby?

Becky said...

Wow. That is interesting. Are the increased risks associated with the second sack or with the identical twin part? Or both? Hopefully the second little one will be totally fine. Did they indicate what kind of birth defects? Would it be similar to what the Grundei's baby has? I think he was a twin too.

Sarah said...

We will be praying for you!!! I'm sure things are just a little confusing right now. Wow, that's a lot to take in.

Tamara said...

Wow. That is a lot to take in in one week. Are you doing ok?

I'm happy to hear that the surviving baby seems healthy. We'll keep you and the little one in our prayers.

Char said...

Sounds like you have had an emotional week. Did you know McKenna was a twin? I can't help but wonder if Maeli would have been Mac's twin. Its all interesting to think about now although then it was very emotionally tough. I hope you are doing ok. We'll be thinking about you and Dave.

Lois Lane said...

You are in my prayers!

Ry said...

So your kid could have three nipples or something?

House of Tuft said...

Wow! I didn't know that was how it all worked when one of the babies didn't make it. That is "interesting" to say the least. The good part is that you do have a baby and our prayers will be with you that it is a healthy strong baby.