Saturday, May 17, 2008

It's Steak Day!


Well, today is steak day. Three years ago today, my dad passed away - he was only 60 years old, and every year since, on May 17th, we go out and enjoy his favorite food - steak. This may seem a little strange, but it takes a day that would normally be very sad and depressing and helps us find a happy way to remember him, although I still can't think a lot about him without getting tears in my eyes. We do the same thing on the day Dave's dad died, but we have pizza.


This year we took Dekan and Chandler to Texas Roadhouse, and Dave and I had steak. This year we told the boys all about their grandpa. We told them his favorite hobbies (fishing, hunting, and golf). We told them about how he used to make breakfast some Saturday mornings (hashbrowns, bacon, eggs, sausage, etc.), and about how he gave Dave a hug when we were dating (something he very rarely did), and some other things we remembered about him. Dekan seemed to enjoy learning about his mom's dad, but Chandler didn't seem to grasp anything. The picture above is of my mom and dad at Dekan's baby blessing - she has since remarried. My mom wrote a poem about him on Mother's Day and sent it to us all. I wanted to include it, so here it is . . .


If I could pick a day
To remember Dad the most
I think it would be "Mothers Day"
He was the perfect "host."

He always got up early
My breakfast he would make
Sausage, eggs and hash browns
Juice and Krustee's pancakes.

I had to stay in bed
And into my room he came
A tray with all the food
His routine was the same.

Then home from church we'd come
My assignment was to rest
While Dad fixed Sunday dinner
His pot-roast was the best!

I was treated like a queen
For one whole day at least
I sure do miss his smile
When he watched me eat the feast!

4 comments:

Tamara said...

What a sweet way to honor the memory of your dad. What a great thing to do to celebrate the life of someone you love so much and pass that love on to the boys. You guys are a great family.

Becky said...

This is such a great idea! I am going to suggest we start something similar for Brian's dad. What a great way to honor and remember our loved ones. Thanks for sharing.

Shelley said...

What a great way to honor your father and share memories with your children of their grandpa. Pizza or Steak would definitely help brighten my day!

House of Tuft said...

I love this idea. I especially like how you spend time during the meal to talk about things you remember and teach the boys.